Friday, March 20, 2009

where is this adventure going????

Hey y'all, Well I first want to let all of you know that I'm very safe and healthy. Happy, maybe not soo much, but today I woke up with the energy that I will need to continue in whatever direction God is taking me. Today, March 20th, 2009, is my 'COS' (Close of Service) date from Madagascar ;( .This has been a looog week of administrative and medical paperwork for all of us 115 Madagascar PCV's and the P.C. staff that are staying at what seems like a ridiculously nice hotel in Johannesburg, S. Africa. My first night here on Monday, I realized I am not ready to be in the developed world yet. On Dec. 10th, 2008, I made a commitment to serve in the developing world, for my country for 2 years and I am ready to honor that promise, despite my heartache of possibly not serving it in my beloved village of Antetezambaro. All week, I;ve woken up confused because of the waaay too fluffy beds, and thought about what I would be doing in my village- going for my morning jog with my running club, fetching water, taking my bucket bath under the morning sun, going fishin with my lil boys, gossiping with my good friend Nirina or the women at the medical clinic. Every day, I still have random spurts that the tears spill out. That place was sooooo perfect for me, I feel it in my bones!!! And although I wish I never had to leave, I know we had to, and I know that I will go back in the future and many of my good friends will still be there. Today I finally felt ready to write about all this, as I'm finally progressing to a more positive mental state, and I'm imagining my options of what could be next in this adventure. Currently, I'm in the running to transfer to either Guinea or Togo, both western African countries. I'd be excited about either, but the big problem is that both require french and I did not do so well on my test. Not surprising because I havent taken french since I was 16 and of course, I've been speaking Malagasy the past 6 months so that was all that was coming out!! There are about 10 other health PCV's trying to transfer as well so it is competetive but I'm still trying to be confident. And if it doesn't work out, then it wasn't meant to be for me. We'll see! I'll try to keep you updated on my next steps of this spiraling staircase. Cheers*

4 comments:

  1. My thoughts are with you Jess. I am in awe of your courage and adventurous spirit. You are so skilled in adaptation, your new HCN's will be blessed to have you. Take care of yourself, I miss you. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for 'the Update' Sweetie.. I'm sure, that even though your heart is hurting, you are still trying to spread 'Cheer' to others.. Glad to hear that you still have the energy to:"continue in whatever direction God is taking me".. Weather is getting better here, as 'the first day of Spring' is dawning.. We are all well, and praying for You.. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're an amazing women! I love you SOOO much! I can't wait to hear about your next adventure! I'm sure you will love it just as much! Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeez, Jess... rough shakes! Glad to hear that you are well and safe! Whatever comes next, I know you will take it in stride with all of the faith, hope, courage and love that you have. May the road rise up to meet you, and the ground be soft to your face...

    ReplyDelete