Friday, March 13, 2009

Mis ratsy vao_vao; maharatra fo (bad news; broken heart)

Today is friday the 13th, shouldve known it,d be a bad one. The word for Friday is Zoma, the first word that comes to mind is DOOMa because my life feels that way right now. As soon as I awoke in Hotel Marotia, which are the beautiful bungalows on the beach that Lindsay and I stay at while banking every month, I rapidly remembered why I was there_ not for my monthly breakaway but because Peace Corps/ Mad is being torn away from country for a while because of the ongoing political instability. I found out yesterday (Thursday) after a wonderful morning of teaching, discussing, weighing, and playing with babies, when a villager told me that I needed to call Peace corps NOW. My heart dropped even before I got the message confirming that I needed to get to Tamatave to meet up with all volunteers in my area, before we go back to Montasoa, fill out paperwork then head to S; Africa to figure out what we want to do with our lives. It looks like I have the choice to transfer to another country, which would mean starting over with a new host family, training group, culture, and language. The option that I think Im leaning towards is waiting out for madagascar to reopen so I can get back to my life that I have already fallen in love with. This is all happening soooo fast, a whirlwind of emotions and paperwork and I think I still may be in shock. My heart and head was prepared to be here for 2 years, which means I am not fulfilled with the 6 months of service Ive put in thus far. even though Id LOVE to see many of you, I just cant come back to America just yet, especially with how bad the economy is doing, just doesnt sound good. So Im keeping my mind open and seeing where life takes me. I need more positive thoughts than ever to keep my head up through all this. misaotra*

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Jess. I am so sorry to hear your news. As I was reading your thoughts, it appeared that you made the right choice to stay and wait it out. You are a smart gal, I am sure if you feel safe,then you are. You are in my thoughts, love and miss you very much! Be careful enjoy your experience.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will all work out Jess! maybe someplace else just needs you more...you will find a "home" wherever you go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WEll I am most glad you are safe and healthy! I was so nervous the last couple of days! JB and I have been checking in everyday to see if one of us had heard anything. Super excited you're safe! As much as we would like to see you, I'm glad u have decided to stay. There is so much more to see, and if you have survived this long, WHY NOT!?!?!?!? You're right the economy here is a mess! I wish you the best and hope to hear from you soon. I love you lots, Jess!!! Take Care! And keep your feet clean!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cheeks! Shocked to hear you may be leave Madagascar for good. I'm sorry all this political unrest has taken you away from your home and new family/friends. Sounds like you have some big decisions to make soon. Go with your gut and you will be just fine. We miss you here! love, jon c.

    ReplyDelete