Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Malahelo Madagasakara!!

Akoryaby!!! I'm in denial that I'm not in Madagascar still....and don't want to lose my language skills because I'm quite confident that I'm going back, so I still speak in Malagasy quite often. Not sure if it's going to be soon or a wee bit later, but I know for sure that I need to get back to my hut in the sand. I'm now in the capital of S. Africa- Pretoria, just bummin' around. It's been another mind- twisting week. I had a great interview with the country director of Guinea, got accepted to go, and started to get soooo excited about the idea of a brand new adventure to add on to my journey....until I went to the dentist for a checkup. I haven't had any problems with my teeth since I've been about 12, but with the bad teeth genes in the family (my dad told me he pretty much has all dead teeth by now), I was a wee bit nervous. And rightly so...I had to get a root canal yesterday and still have to get me 3 remaining wisdom teeth extracted. All of this mess disqualifies me to direct transfer to Guinea, because in the Peace Corps "rules" states that to direct transfer after an evacuation, you will only be approved for simple tooth fillings. Peace Corps first tried to tell me I just have to go home to get it taken care of but I was really mad about that, since they started jacking up my teeth, I insisted they finish it here so I don't have to worry about it. Sooo...my life is sooooo up in the air right now. Although this has made me very upset and feeling alone (because my good friends from my stage are all moving on to Mali and Namibia), I need to look at this in a positive light and be thankful for the free will that's ahead. It's all happening for a reason, which I'm pretty sure is the fact that I will be getting back to Radagasakara SOONER rather than later. All this might mean I may have to come back to America until Peace Corps re- opens the program in Madagascar (July at the earliest), although I'm tempted to get back to my hut immediately after my teeth are better, on my own because I know my village is safe -they were sooo confused why I had to leave in the first place because they had noooo idea of all the political craziness going on in the bigger cities since no access to media. My co- workers, fellow villagers, and friends would be soooo happy to take care of me. I've been dreaming about it and need to follow my dreams, like I always have...

2 comments:

  1. hrmmm....Going back on your own sounds a little scary Girly. Are they going to fix your teeth? And when that is done you can be moved to Guinea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheeks, your the boss but i would be very sceptical to go back to Madagaskar on your own. You are a part of the peace corp, and the peace corp pulled everyone out. If you were an active part of the military and the government says move out that means move out. Remember, USA has the best intelligence in the world you have to respect their judgement on the situation. Outside of a US Embassy (that is god knows where in Madi), i hate to think you will not have govt. support if needed. We pray your heart guides you where you belong and im glad to hear you stayed strong on getting your teeth fixed. Can I get involved and speak my mind with someone from the peace corp about what you are dealing with? We love and miss you, Jon C.

    ReplyDelete