Tuesday, January 13, 2009

some cultural differences

So Peace corps really is a roller coaster rides of ups and downs, just as many RPCV,s have described it. In the USA Im the type of person who is on top of the world 95% of the time so i couldnt imagine getting too far down in the dumps but now i understand. I,m stiull feeling on top of the world 80% of the time but i admit that frusteration and saddest overtakes me often as well. Partly becfause i cant run into the arms of my loved ones or even hear their voice whenever i want: part of it is the pôverty that is entrenched in this culture and the belief of most locals that there,s no way out (of course there is with education but most kids dont go to school past middle school age); Part of my challenges come from the psychological effects that happen when i know people are staring at me and judging, maybe even laughing at me or mocking me when i speak malagasy. Until the natives talk to me and know my name and what i,m doing, theyre a wee bit suspicious of the vazaha that is living among them. Am I here to exploit them or take any local jobs available they may think??? But after getting to know these people,they become genuinely warm and welco,ming. I cant blame them of their judgements because of the recent surge in foreign companies coming in and taking over for a more "efficient and effective" way of doing things. Anyways the snickers i hear when i try to speak the language makes me feel soooo small but i just take a deep breath and think about the many malagasy people surrounding me that really do want to help me and are very patient and caring. I think a part of my sensitivity comes from being American. We are sooo caugt up in the physchological state and how bullying can affect a person. Here there is no talk of that;;; if you do poorly on a test, the teacher says so in front of everyone, if you are not good at soccer "tsy mahay anao" (you are not good) is whjat everyone says. Yet these obvious statements of truth dont necessarily damage that person, they just laugh it off. Lotsa laughing in the malagasy culture. nyways i need to get back on my bike and head back to my village which im not looking forward to because my bike seat is soooo hard! pretty painful after an hour of riding. If youd like to send me a letter or anything; it wouyld make my mointh! snail mail is the best!!!!! my addy is;
"Kanto " Jessica Cummings, PCV
c/o Daline Derival, PCV
c/o Hopitaly Kely
B.P. 374 Tamatave 501
MADAGASCAR
my phone nu,ber is 011261332013068 but you should get skype of instant messanger that my dad has before calling cuz its expensive! If you happened to send somùethintg to the last address ill get it within the next couple months
LOVE YALL!!!!
Cheers

7 comments:

  1. Sorry about that Jess! I was helping your dad log in and be able to post a comment! Well I can't imagine how hard it would be to learn an entirely new language. And although it may feel like people are snickering and you, try not to let it get you down. You are a strong, happy and caring person. And that shines through more than anything (You and your sister really Shine like *Stars* you know?! :) ) I've found that most people have a tendency to be skeptical at first but soon enough they will warm up, once they know you are there to help. It doesn't seem like Malagasy is the easiest language to learn. Remember too, you don't know what kind of experiences these people have had in the past with "foreigners." They may have had some hardships brought upon them by outsiders. And although it is hard, God has this side mission for you to help the Malagasy people overcome their prejudices! Don't give up! Stay Strong! It will be worth it in the end!
    Love you!
    Stay Safe!
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jess (Kanto,
    It was great to get to talk with you at Chris's on Friday. I was very disappointed to get home on Sunday to find that my last Christmas card, the-first letter to be sent to your new address, was returned. The post office said it had insufficient postage but the card had made it to Madagascar and then had been returned, we think, because something about your new address is not right. I originally sent it as you have listed in your blog with the only difference being the placement of the numbers and words on different lines which I think should not make a difference. In the meantime, I'm sending this last Christmas card to your old address and hopefully you get it by Valentine's day. I am looking forward to talking to you again this Sunday evening and hopefully everything is going OK. We have very cold weather right now with it going down to 0 tonight and also, the next couple of days. Enjoy the warmth and sunshine. Love Mom
    Hi Sweetie, Just to let you know, your kittie, Sneakers, is doing just fine.. He is warming-up to me a little, even in the very cold weather, since I feed-him a couple times a day.. Sorry to hear about your sore-BUTT, riding that bike.. I remember riding 12 miles each way, out at Presque Isle, and boy did my Butt hurt too.. Guess we both need a little more FAT on our Butts, otherwise, a softer cushion, would be the real ticket.. You might try 'duct-taping' a sponge, on the seat??? Love You Sweetie, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Sweet, Sweet Girl!! I think I have finally figured this blog thing out!! (fingers crossed) I sent you a Christmas card as well. I think yours was sent about 2 weeks before Christmas. I sent it to the 1st addy I had for you, so most likely you haven't received it yet. Unlike, Chuckhere, I haven't got it back.....well...yet anyways. So we will see! It's getting pretty cold here in Tennessee as well. We had a little bit of flurries yesterday, definately nothing to stick to the ground. Avereage temp the past week was 20's. It's cold, but Im definately not missing the Ohio Snow! That's FO SHO! Preston has one hell of a personality!! He's really starting to shine! Terrible 2's?? Why do people even say that?? His terrible 2's started right after his first birthday...when he started to walk! I'm really learning a lot about myself being a Mommy. Being patient is really starting to grow on me. Never thought that would happen. But just watching him struggle to put his socks on, makes me think of all the other things he has already mastered. Pretty soon, putting on his socks will soon be another mastered milestone. Which leads me to think of you and your situation. Some malagasy people may not quite know what to think of you, and that's ok. Everyone has a fear of the unknown. And everyone handles it differently. Some may not be able to accept that this rich white girl knows more then them. Eventually, what you teach these people will be forwarded on and taught to others and so on...I guarentee that your teachings will be much appreciated now and in the years to come. The same people that snicker at you, will need your help. It's always hard to be away from family and friends. You are one of the strongest people I know. Sometimes your gonna feel like there are more cons then pros in your life. That is when you need to take a step back and remind yourself why you are there. And what goals you set for yourself to accomplish. Especially how your going to feel when it is all said and done. I got pretty home sick when i was living in Alaska. The job sucked and I was sick. All I could focus on was all of the negative that surrounded me. It took a few days to really turn my thoughts around and try to focus on all of the positive, all of the beauty that was surrounding me. :) I know you'll get through it, with a shinnin' smile to light your way. I just thought maybe you'd like to hear a little pep talk. I love you...and think of you ALWAYS!!
    Take Care of those feet!! (and your stinky butt)
    Holly

    FYI...OSU lost there bowl game 2 weeks ago. SUCKED IT UP!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HIIIIIII Jess!
    So as everyone else I have to put in my 2 cents about the snickering thing, by the way well said Holly, but you said that there's a lot of laughing in the Malagasy culture anyways so maybe that's how they handle most of their emotions/reactions to situations. Try not to think of it as ppl laughing AT you. Maybe you make them nervous or jealous and they want to make you feel bad so they laugh. You know it takes a special person to do what you're doing (I would have been on a plane home like 3 months ago), so just keep focused on your job and before you know it everything else will fall into place! We all miss you tons, but believe me you're not missing anything exciting here. NObody's getting married or having babies.....yet. Hopefully that makes you feel better. Well love you and a little depressed without you, but such is life. Look out for a package from me!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jess, I heard there was some unrest going on in the country. Keep a low profile please.

    ReplyDelete