Friday, January 9, 2009

mis mpangalatra ambuni rano mascine (thieves on the beach)

So the first saturday at sight i had a mother and child come to my hut because her child had fivalanana (diarrhea) for 3 days. I told her of the importance of using sureau which is chlorine that we use to get clean drinking water then taught her how to make rehydrating solution with sugar and salt i felt good about it and they never came back to the CSB so im hoping the baby got better. Then the next day, a sunday, I had another toddler and mother come with some really bad burns all over the babies legs and belly. It took everything not to cringe; but to remain calm/ I washed it with clean water, wrapped it and told mom to come back on monday. When she came back the burn had swollen up sooooo big all over his body. The doctor explained to me that theres water in there and needs to get out so took tongs, popped them all, and pulled back the babies skin to reveal the peachy flesh beneath, and he was screaming his lungs off. Soooo hard for me to watch and questioning if popping them really is the best thing to do. Then the doc said he needs wind and left them uncovered! I just thought about all the sand and dirt that could infect the flesh but things are not done the same way here so i just need to observe for a while and try to understand everything. But communicating with mothers and weighing babies daily has been great, but even better is the friends im making; i Have a group of adolescent girls who come to see me a couple times a week for english lessons and thats cool. It feels good to speak my native language a wee bit so people know i really am capable of making sense! But slowly speaking malagasy is getting a bit more fluent; My favorie kids are the 3 brothers who take me fishing in teh wee river behind my house. They even made me my own cane pole! And Harriet is a wonderful older lady who lived in germany for a while, speaks some english, and is very motherly; She had me over for new years meal including CAKE!!! I havenùt had cake in forever!!! sooo delicious; she has a lot of acres of plants, flowers, vegetable, and rice fields that i enjoy learning about; soi to mention a bit about the not so great things:: Last time i was in tamatave with my good friend Lindsay we were sitting on the beach at a spectacle ( concert) enjoying the paradise in front of us and catching up, when a group of teenageres circled us; They tried to say I love you in broken english and when they got too close and we stood up, they strategically swiped our purses and my chaco sandals and ran!!! I didnt have much valuables in my purse, it was more of the papers, address book, my compass that ive LOVED having here to keep my direction, my sunglass clip ons (e.b. im sure your laughinbg right now... never shoulda got them), pictures, swiss army knife, and i.ds ; But it was my diginity that was stolen and having to walk into the Malagasy police station in Tamatave, in shock and not being capable of speaking, with no shoes made me feel so small. No shoes for a malagasy person is normal but for a vazaha (foreigner) is totally strange. Anyways, Lindsay and I have our health and thats most important. Just a reminder for us to not let our guard down and to remember that we are in a developing country. Anyone who is white, in their eyes, have a lot of money and its true compared to what they have. Other PCV,s told us that Tamatave, the main port city in Madigasikara (the city about 15K south of me in Antetezambaro that i go to every week for food) is getting worse in terms of theft because there are some french mining companies coming in, which is attracting Malagasy people to move in but there are not enough jobs to go around which is leading to more crime. Anyways my soul has recovered but my feet really miss my chacos!!!! Well i hope this blog works please respond if you do read this so I know its working;;; I hope yall had the best christmas, joyous new years and keep your heads up strong in this great new year of 2009!!! Amy Menaraka! (till next time yall) Cheers!

7 comments:

  1. Wow Jessica, what you are doing sounds truely amazing. I thing everyone should do it just to realize how much they appreciate the basic things like health and family. I'm glad to hear those theives only took your purses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jess! I'm so sorry to hear about your theft experience! That sounds so scarey. I'm glad you have recovered and hopefully you can buy new shoes. Do you want us to send money for shoes? Do they even sell shoes if most people don't wear them? Let us know how we can help. Maybe we can send some flip flops or something. I'm not sure what Chacos are. If you want those, just tell me where to find them and what your size is.
    Anyways it sounds like you are having some great experiences and learning an awful lot. I hope you get your goodies soon! Might make you feel better on those rough days! There are gifts for the girl and boy you spoke of too. You should have 2 packages there now.
    Can't wait to check your blog and see how you are doing very soon! Love you!
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica! Next time kick them in the balls! Where were all your sweet skills?! That really sucks, but you know it could've happened to you here in the states too. Well if you need my addy again here it goes:
    1819 Mission Oaks St
    Kannapolis, NC 28083
    216-313-0261
    Missed you at New Years. McCabe's calamari made me sick so i puked all night, yay!

    Sounds like you have a lot more medical situations than you anticipated. Are you like the doctor's assistant or something? Where are you now? Not in the capitol anymore?We all sent packages to the address you gave in the last email. I'll be pretty bummed if you don't get mine.
    I think you need to resend your address so i can make sure i have it right and send you something else of course. Well love you hope you're feeling great. 2 years to go.........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cheeks,
    sorry to hear about losing your stuff. What's the easiest way to replace it...send more stuff to your address, send money somehow, or what? Are you able to get a bank account to wire into in the nearest city? Keep watching your back...probably was good you were with a friend. It's unfortunate you need to worry about that stuff on a peace mission. Did you happen to get any self-defense classes in beforehand? Anyway, I'm sure our Lord is watching over you.
    The people are blessed to have your help. You continue to be in our prayers.
    Love, Chris and fam

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH NO!!!! NOT YOUR CHACOS!!!!!!!! AND YOUR KNIFE!! They obviously do not know how painful shopping is for you...The good thing about this is once these boys figure out what your clip on sunglasses are they are sure to open up a clip on sunglasses shop on the island and become rich.. be happy you were the one to show them their path in life.
    We Love You and Glad you are safe and healthy!
    JB and EB

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Babe! HiiiiEEEEEeeeeee. Obviously you forgot to tell the thieves that you have a sister that can get ReeAAll Thug-like if she has too. They better watch out!! I'll be there to get them soon!

    I'm glad they didn't take anything too valuable. As long as you still have tribeteddy. (I forget what you call your tribeteddy).

    And I have 2 packages on their way as well. Got them off just before christmas. It is half the price I guess if you send 2 packages each under 2 kgs than to send one with 4 kgs so that's the route I went. Hope you get them ok.
    Love you babe. And I was cringing at your baby burn story. Do you know how it turned out? My instinct would have been to rewrap it as well. How awful.
    We are still planning to come some time this year but not sure when. But if you ever feel you need us there like pretty quick you just say and I would do everything to leave in a hurry. No problem.
    Love yOU! cLEVeland Indians Basseball. Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jess, I was just reading all of the comments above and goodness sakes!!!! WHERE DO YOU FIND THESE PEOPLE?!?!?! HAHAHAHA
    I miss all of you!!! Jess is really lucky to have you all in her life!!

    ReplyDelete